From breakfast in bed, to drawings from little fingers, to flowers blooming, to a good Sunday roast….Mother’s Day is almost upon us and for me its such a special day for so many reasons.
Now I am a Mum I appreciate my Mum more than ever, I see the many many times she so selflessly put everyone, their needs and wishes before herself (and still does). She has been the shoulder to cry on, the hand to pick me back up again, and the worldly advice I needed (even when I thought I didn’t). Now as I see things through different eyes, I know how extra special those tiny footprints around the house are, how a home can be filled with so much laughter and joy from someone so tiny, how a small achievement to a child is a huge achievement to a parent, and how you really don’t mind those little sticky fingerprints on the newly cleaned windows and doors. Becoming a Mother is an incredibly special and fortunate gift, its one I never take for granted and Mother’s Day to me is about appreciating the memories from my own childhood through to my children’s. It’s all about enjoying the moment…and all about those little things that really make it special.
Sometime’s I think Mums can be the hardest people to buy for. Whenever I ask my Mum what she would like for her Birthday, Christmas or Mother’s Day she always replies with the same response ‘Don’t worry about me, I have everything I need with our beautiful family, please save your money’. Its the most beautiful and thoughtful response which I thoroughly appreciate, but still I need to treat her to something. For me its more the gesture and a small token of just how much she means to me and how eternally grateful I am for everything she does. I know she would be happy with a bunch of flowers or box of chocolates because she just appreciates the thought, but its extra special to see her face light up when she opens something a bit more unexpected. Whilst nothing can really beat spending quality time with your Mum as the best present of all, whether you live round the corner or across the miles from your Mum, Step-Mum or Mother-like Figure in your life, I have teamed up with one of my favourite brands The White Company to bring you some beautiful and simple delights as alternative ideas to the traditional flowers, plants or chocolates….it’s not always about what you give but how you give it.
- A lie-in…..I think it goes without saying that us Mums would always appreciate a lie-in, especially if you are a Mum to littles ones. The chance to have some uninterrupted sleep is as blissful as a day in a Spa to be honest. Its a small gesture that can make such a refreshing and reviving difference (and much needed for many). That chance to wrap up in the duvet, turn over and fall back to sleep is just heavenly. I like to surround myself with as many pillows and cushions as humanly possible, the softer the material the better. I like to feel the comfort all around me, a bit like floating in clouds of cushions, plus I love the touch of luxury and softness they add to the bed. Some of my favourites are from the Anderson Collection which is a beautiful knitted cushion, anything knitted brings back childhood memories of my Grandma who would sit there knitting at serious speed whilst having a good old chat and never drop a stitch. I also adore the oh so soft Colville Collection which just feels like pure luxury and gives that touch of a 5* Hotel feel to your bed.
- Breakfast in bed……I’m one of those finicky people that’s not so keen on having food in bed, however for occasions like Mother’s Day…why not?! Last Mother’s Day (after my lovely lie in) I woke to the sound of my hubbie and children bustling away in the kitchen, all helping to make Mummy breakfast and there was no sweeter way to wake up. The children were so excited to bring me pancakes they had helped to make, with their loving little touches (such as mini eggs and some mini muffins on the side). My oldest daughter often finds our beautiful wooden heart shaped board, pops a croissant or few on it and presents it to me all so attentively as I wake up on a Sunday Morning. Moments like these genuinely warm my heart, its something so simple but thoughtful that can put the biggest smile on a Mother’s face.
- Taking the time……most mornings our household is pretty much ‘go go go’ from the moment we all wake up. With the school run there is always a schedule to keep to, making sure breakfasts have been eaten, teeth are cleaned, PE kits are in school bags, that we beat the school traffic – that basically everyone is where they need to be on time. There isn’t really much ‘time’ to just, well…’take the time’. Likewise weekends are often about birthday parties, swimming, kids activities, etc. So its a lovely idea to just let us Mums have some ‘time’, even if that time is for doing absolutely nothing. To be given some time to spend a little longer to get ready, to take that bit longer in the shower. Just to have that ‘no rush’ feeling and having those morning moments to ‘breathe’ and appreciate the calmness. We could maybe try that new lipstick that’s always at the bottom of our makeup bag, or just to stay in our pjs and bathrobes until lunchtime without feeling guilty for taking that ‘extra bit of time’.
- Home comforts……a beautifully fragranced candle to fill the room, soft fluffy cushions to relax on, a luxurious soft robe to wrap up in and feel all cosy in….simple additions, aromas and fabrics can bring some beautiful comforts to you and your home. Items that make you smile when you reach for them, or put them on. For me its as simple as that luxurious super soft robe. Its the item I grab as soon as I get out of bed in a morning, I wrap it around me and snuggle into it like a big hug, I pop the hood on (which hides my crazy bed hair) and warm my hands in the pockets. It brings me such a cosy comfort to kick start my day. Likewise its the item I reach for to help me unwind at the end of a long day, my makeup is removed, the day has been washed away, the children are in bed and now its time to snuggle up in something soft, luxurious and comfortable, and enjoy some down time before bed.
- An evening of relaxation…After a long (hopefully undisturbed) soak in the bath there’s nothing I like better to then curl up on the sofa with my children, with a big blanket round us and watch a movie. Moments like these I appreciate so much especially whilst our children are young. I remember snuggling up to my Mum in our dressing gowns on a rainy day watching Musicals, sitting together on some soft cushions on the floor whilst she read stories to me and we’d have a pretend picnic, and her spending many a night being incredibly encouraging to my little singing and dancing routines I would make up and perform. Memories that stay with you forever and how you then go on to create your own memories with your own children. It doesn’t have to involve doing anything extravagant. Little touches here and there that can add a meaningful yet considerable difference to her everyday routine, home and world. More than anything though, its the simple things, the little things, and those heart warming smiles that make being a Mum the best job in the World.
Shop The Products
The White Company have kindly offered my readers and followers 10% off orders between 25th February and 18th March 2018 using the Code PAPERDOLL10 at checkout – please see below for full details
Offer: Introductory 10% off orders plus free UK delivery over £50 (online & in-store)
Default code: PAPERDOLL10
Start date: 25th February 2018
End date: 18th March 2018
T&C’s: Offer is valid on full-priced items only and cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer. Standard free UK delivery is valid for online, telephone and store mail orders to the UK mainland only when you spend £50 or more. Offer excludes gift wrap, gift vouchers, all furniture, beds, mattresses, upholstery and made-to-order items. Offer is not valid in our clearance stores. Valid while stocks last. For full Terms & Conditions please visitwww.thewhitecompany.com/help/terms/. To redeem this offer in store you must present this code or show it on your mobile device. Offer ends midnight 18th March 2018.
*this post is in collaboration with The White Company. House of Paper Doll uses affiliate links in some blog posts, for further information please see my disclaimer.